By Amin Iskandar and Md Izwan
March 30, 2013
ALOR SETAR, March 30 ― Pakatan Rakyat (PR) is facing trouble in Selangor because the pact made excessive promises to Selangor voters in Election 2008 that it could not fulfil, says Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak.
Some1,000 housewives filed a RM5.86 million lawsuit against the Selangor government at the Shah Alam High Court last Thursday for failing to give them RM100 allowances each, as promised in the opposition’s manifesto in the 2008 general election.
“They made too many promises. After that, they couldn’t afford to pay for them,” Azizan told The Malaysian Insider in an exclusive interview recently.
“Gangs protested every day until they even ask the government to pay for their house. They’re crazy,” he added, referring to the frequent protests against Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim’s administration of the country’s wealthiest state.
Several non-governmental organisations, as well as single mothers, senior citizens and housewives, protested against the Selangor government last year on various state issues, including the opposition’s alleged failure in implementing its election pledges.
The Selangor government has also been hit with several lawsuits since last year by single mothers and senior citizens claiming for allowances and insurance coverage, as well as residents demanding water subsidies, that were all purportedly promised in the opposition’s 2008 election manifesto.
Asked what he would promise voters should PR retain Kedah in the coming Election 2013, Azizan(picture) said: “No promises. We’ll just improve things.”
The Kedah PAS commissioner, however, stressed that voters did not just want to rely on government funds, but desired a government that could ensure them a good life.
“What is important in today’s context is that the rakyat doesn’t just want to depen